Ben Dobbs: International Training and Coaching
© copyright, Benjamin Dobbs, trading as BD Communications (Leadership, Communication, Coaching, Consultancy and Training), 2018, Dublin, Ireland
Writing Up Research In Academic English ...
About the Course:
Intensive group training and coaching for university academics and post-graduate students (from any academic subject) seeking publication of their work in English language academic journals.
Length of Course:
Five days / 30 hours.
The course combines group training and trainer input with one-to-one coaching.
Trainer input covers:
- The nature of writing
- General English vs. Academic English
- About academic writing and what makes academic writing effective
- Academic style and tone
- The writing process
- Avoid commonality and simplistic language
- Distancing, caution and hedging
- Stakeholders in your writing
- Structuring your writing
- Sentences, paragraphs and connecting ideas
- Use of active and passive voice
- Use of prepositions
- Key academic verbs
- Summarising, concluding, evaluating, recommending
- Talking about methodologies and ethics
- Citations, footnotes and references
- Plagiarism and avoiding it
- Doing a literative review
- Arguming in academic writing and models of argument
- Talking about data, causation and relationships
- Framing an argument
- Critical thinking and being a critical thinker
- Journal / publication analysis
- Writing submission / cover letters
- The language of academia and academic feedback
- Replying to a reviewer
- Presenting your work
- Personal action planning
One-to-one coaching can cover any area of the coachee's choosing linked to their writing.